Thursday, December 11, 2008

moving forwards

I attended a lecture that focused on how an artist would get their work shown by galleries. It was held at Montgomery College in Silver Spring and had some great panelist with some great ideas. I was happy I attended, but there was no magic bullet to be found. The bottom line seemed to be not to haul your stuff to galleries unannounced. They don't like that, it seems, and rejection can be so hard, say after the first 100. But to get yourself out there. Take time off from your work to do your work. So OK, now that we are going to stop working and work on promoting it, what do we do? Their suggestions were first to work on your portfolio, pictures, bio, artist statement, etc. These are the packages that you will send out to galleries or juried shows. OK, this is doable, become a photographer and an effective writer and make a package that appears to show how great you are. Their second suggestion was to network--take classes, go to lectures, go to gallery openings, etc., meet people, get your name out there, and then when you meet the right person at the right time, get them to promote you. Now I'm tired and feel like I've chosen some other career path. This could be a full time job and one that is outside my comfort area. If your successful at this (could take a while), then you could become part of the "art scene." You will know people, be invited to openings and shows, and hopefully be picked up by a gallery that would promote show and sell your art. The problem is they get 40% and they get to be more connected to the people who appreciate your art then you do. So how do you have your cake and eat it too? How do you control your art, promote it and show it and sell it and create enough interest that people find you. OK, this is when I show you why I would make the big bucks if I had a job.

Answer: Promote yourself and your art directly to the public. We spend the same energy on that as we would on getting a gallery and we should be good. What if we were part of a larger group of artists who all promoted themselves, would they get noticed, would the word get out?What if they got together for art shows and sales. Would that get noticed? I'm thinking, yes. I'd like to have an art show and I would like to form a network of artists to promote it. E-mail me! I'm in my studio working.

1 comment:

biggestfan said...

"Everything changed the day he figured out there was exactly enough time for the important things in his life." (by Brian Andreas, www.storypeople.com)

Rock on, Dave!